[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Registrar Data vs RDS Data

'Andrew Sullivan' ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Fri Aug 25 14:30:29 UTC 2017

Hi Chuck,

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 02:31:04PM -0700, Chuck wrote:
> Sorry for any confusion Andrew.  We are still only dealing with collection,
> not display.

That's helpful, in the sense that I know the scope, but it leaves me
confused about some of the agreements we're talking about.  The most
obvious example is this: "The URL of the Internic Complaint Site must
be supported for inclusion in the RDS."

That URL is published all over the Internet, and it is not tailored to
the domain name or contact ID or registrar ID or whatever that one
might be complaining about.  There is no collection of data to do in
this case: it's already collected.  So, the agreement of the WG
appears to be that it's possible for an RDS to know about that URL.
Surely that is not a controversial enough question even to bother
answering.

That's what makes me think that people are actually thinking about
whether that URL is to be _displayed_ sometimes.  Again, I think the
answer is trivially yes, but I'm more worried about what I think is an
underlying conceptual confusion than I am worried about the details in
this case.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com