[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Dangers of public whois

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Thu Feb 9 14:07:05 UTC 2017

I would like to underline the fact that the data commissioners commented
in some of their earliest (2000) correspondence with ICANN that it was
not acceptable to organize a directory in such a way as to allow reverse
directory lookup, in other words what are all the domains that an
individual has registered.  There is no legitimate purpose for that
search capability to be available to the wider public.   This does not
of course mean that bona fide investigators should not be allowed to do
that.

I realize that idea seems quaint these days in the age of google, but
back then it was not a crazy idea....

cheers Stephanie