[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Dangers of public whois

allison nixon elsakoo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 17:59:02 UTC 2017

>>So you are saying that none of this spam are not originating from whois
harvesting?

Do you understand how spam emails are harvested? WHOIS is one source of
emails, and there are many other sources of emails that are subsequently
fed into botnets, "lead lists" et cetera. Shutting off the spigot for one
source of emails is unlikely to make any significant impact in the volume
of spam you, or the average person will receive. And if the email WHOIS was
deliberately disclosed by a company or person, that e-mail will also be on
their website and will still be spammed. The only category of people who
would be harmed exclusively by this WHOIS status quo are people who made a
foolish mistake and didn't intend to disclose something publicly.

It's a far more effective solution to start an investigation against these
scammers that send emails and snailmail to registrants making false claims
about their domain expiration. That should have happened years ago,
honestly.

>>So since that is only a small part of the problem as you state it then we
shall not do the effort to reduce it as a part of the change we want?
>>I am trying to understand the viewpoint and the argument for letting
public whois info being used to generate spam and scams as less important
here

Because the anti-abuse community are simply members of the public. There
appears to be a low level of respect given here for the efforts of that
community, so I have a corresponding low level of confidence that continued
access to this data will be allowed.