[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Dangers of public whois

Hollenbeck, Scott shollenbeck at verisign.com
Tue Feb 14 18:31:00 UTC 2017

From: gnso-rds-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org [mailto:gnso-rds-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of allison nixon
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:21 PM
To: Volker Greimann <vgreimann at key-systems.net>
Cc: RDS PDP WG <gnso-rds-pdp-wg at icann.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Dangers of public whois

>>to your first point: the right to privacy of ones own data may be different where I live and where you live. Suffice it to say that in our day-to-day business we get eough complaints from customers who feel their rivacy has been violated either by our putting their data out for everyone to see or by customers of ours who provide services that do the same. And we both agree that whois privacy will not protect you 100%.

So put your contact address as "123 fake st" and your phone number as "555-555-5555". Make a fake email. No one is forcing you to disclose more than you want to. And the only people who disclose too much are doing so by mistake, not by coercion.

[SAH] Actually, there *are* requirements to provide valid data and for registrars to perform validation processing:

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/approved-with-specs-2013-09-17-en#whois-accuracy

Scott