[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Mp3, Attendance & AC Chat for Next-Gen RDS PDP WG on 14, February 2017

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue Feb 14 21:44:43 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3
and Adobe Connect recording below for the Next-Gen RDS PDP Working group
call held on Tuesday, 14 February 2017 at 17:00 UTC.

MP3: https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-nextgen-rds-pdp-14feb17-en.mp3

Adobe Connect Recording:
<https://participate.icann.org/p8cl9zjxi06/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=35164ca55b0b4325
1de3126b2595278b4418e8a455ee85906e150b73fd5ffb72>
https://participate.icann.org/p8cl9zjxi06/

Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rds-pdp-wg/

Agenda Wiki page:  https://community.icann.org/x/dpDRAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

---------------

AC Chat Next-Gen RDS PDP WG Tuesday, 14 February 2017

  Terri Agnew:Welcome to the Next-Gen RDS PDP WG call on Tuesday, 14
February 2017 at 17:00 UTC

  Terri Agnew:agenda wiki page:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_d
pDRAw
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_
dpDRAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpC
IgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=b0ktG-GEwIrfdrUG1D_fMJTiWmtf5U6zzyBrGhpHfD
k&s=sUxQiclqRj4G2R92kF5p7PJTDp7QHMqCZn1FPoQG0ds&e>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=b0ktG-GEwIrfdrUG1D_fMJTiWmtf5U6zzyBrGhpHfDk&s=sU
xQiclqRj4G2R92kF5p7PJTDp7QHMqCZn1FPoQG0ds&e=

  Maryan Rizinski:Hello Terri

  Chuck Gomes:It is taking a long time for an operator to join me on the
call.  Do we need to initiate that process earlier so that we sound check
speakers on the agenda?

  Terri Agnew:Hi Chuck, I will alert the op

  Theo Geurts:Thanks Terri

  Marika Konings:Hope all is fine Chuck!!

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Hello All

  Theo Geurts:'lo

  Benny / Nordreg AB:sorry for being late

  Stephanie Perrin:Sorry for being late, we had a conflict with our
Intercessional meeting.

  Farell FOLLY (Africa 2.0):BTW Stephanie, we need to find out a way next
time...( I totally missed that Intercessional meeting)

  Theo Geurts:oops

  Terri Agnew:finding the line

  Stephanie Perrin:Let's talk offline Farell....remote participation has
been a struggle.

  Terri Agnew:muting the line

  Stephanie Perrin:In many ways the COnvention 108 shares similar problems
with the COE Cybercrime Treaty.  Hard to get people to sign, hard to get
implementation, but both are truly needed right now

  Terri Agnew:@Stephanie, we are unable to hear you, please check your mic
on your side

  Terri Agnew:let me know if a dial out on the telehone would be helpful

  Stephanie Perrin:Did someone mute me cen trally when that loud noise
happened?

  Alex Deacon:thanks Chuck.

  Terri Agnew:@Stephanie, no, your mic was unmuted but we were unable to
hear you.

  Terri Agnew:Stephanie is now on the telephone audio.

  Lisa Phifer:Marc, that is still a question that must be addressed in our
charter - draft statement is included in our working document for when we
get back to it

  Andrew Sullivan:the problem with "_the_" purpose of RDS is that different
people have different needs

  Theo Geurts:Agreed Andrew, that makes it complex

  Stephanie Perrin:The purpose has to relate to ICANN, not the needs of
every stakeholder who shows up at ICANN.

  Andrew Sullivan:perhaps we could start, as I think Jim Galvin has
suggested, by whittling down what purposes we're going to embrace at all

  Fabricio Vayra:Counter balance: Article 29 WP 217 Opinion 4/2014 Article 7
requires that personal data shall only be processed if at least one of six
legal grounds listed  in  that  Article apply.  In  particular,  personal
data  shall only be  processed (a) based on the data subject's unambiguous
consent; or if -briefly put -processing is necessary for ... (e) performance
of a task carried out in the public interest; or (f) legitimate interests
pursued by the controller, subject to an additional balancing test against
the data subject's rights and interests.

  Andrew Sullivan:if it's just to support registration and technical
operations, the scope is way smaller

  Michele Neylon:yup

  Theo Geurts:yes

  Andrew Sullivan:So, if we started at that layer (call it "minimal
operational requirement"), we could make progress

  Fabricio Vayra:or if we started at a task carried out for public interest
(safety, security, etc) maybe a different result.

  Fabricio Vayra:point being, this isn't one sided

  Andrew Sullivan:but such a task is not actually required to make Internet
go, whereas the min op req is

  Alex Deacon:...or we start with the purpose defined by the EWG.   I find
it easier to start with something concrete and progress from there vs.
starting from a clean slate.

  Andrew Sullivan:@Alex: except we haven't moved from this baseline yet, and
my inner engineer gets itchy

  Fabricio Vayra:+1 Alex, which is what we all agreed in Helsinki.  And,
recognizing there are nuiances in the purpose requirement (exceptions and
balancing tests)

  Lisa Phifer:Refer to draft working document, sections 2.2 and 2.3 for list
of proposed purposes for collection and the draft statement of purpose for
the RDS. These are still our working documents to progress.

  Marika Konings:See also
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_t
iW4Aw
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_
tiW4Aw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpC
IgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=b0ktG-GEwIrfdrUG1D_fMJTiWmtf5U6zzyBrGhpHfD
k&s=3-PBl9VpsdQX7BfN2C-WMg1Ubz65z9c2_mjT1kMZHK0&e>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=b0ktG-GEwIrfdrUG1D_fMJTiWmtf5U6zzyBrGhpHfDk&s=3-
PBl9VpsdQX7BfN2C-WMg1Ubz65z9c2_mjT1kMZHK0&e=  for latest draft of statement
of purpose.

  Alex Deacon:Thanks Stephanie - that is helpful.

  Lisa Phifer:See
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_p
4xlAw
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_
p4xlAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpC
IgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=b0ktG-GEwIrfdrUG1D_fMJTiWmtf5U6zzyBrGhpHfD
k&s=8NhI1Wz15t0jstjfdweeoZaAU9LLdxSBRjU5fZzTY7I&e>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=b0ktG-GEwIrfdrUG1D_fMJTiWmtf5U6zzyBrGhpHfDk&s=8N
hI1Wz15t0jstjfdweeoZaAU9LLdxSBRjU5fZzTY7I&e=  for the current working
document, which contains in it the draft statement of purpose for the RDS in
section 2.3

  Alex Deacon:Thanks for the reminder Lisa :)

  Jim Galvin (Afilias):I will continue to state my preference for a
minimalist statement of purpose, i.e., +1 to @andrew.  I am open to
discussion and evidence that are other purposes are necessary, at which
point I may change my mind.

  Jim Galvin (Afilias):I do not believe that legacy existence of a purpose
is a reason to continue to support it.

  Andrew Sullivan:agree w/ Jim, but also the TM case seems to me to conflate
access and collection

  Jim Galvin (Afilias):I believe that Copyright and Trademark conflate
access (secondary usage of data) with collection based on the primary
purpose.

  Andrew Sullivan:for TM, there is no greater collection req than that
needed to make registration at all. for registration requires a registrant.

  Michele Neylon:I need to drop off

  Jim Galvin (Afilias):If there is more data that copyright and TM need that
is not already collected, then it would help me if someone could explain why
ICANN has a central role of any sort in copyright and TM enforcement.

  Alex Deacon:@jim - its not clear to me we have defined a primary purpose
yet...have we?

  Andrew Sullivan:+eleventy to Jim

  Stephanie Perrin:we have not, in my view, but we have started

  Jim Galvin (Afilias):@alex - we have not made a decision as a WG, correct.
We have a draft statement, linked by Lisa above, and we are still discussing
boundaries.

  Fabricio Vayra:agreed

  Farell FOLLY (Africa 2.0):agreed

  Alex Deacon:It seems we can't make much (any?) progress until we agree on
a purpose.

  Theo Geurts:yep

  Andrew Sullivan:It is almost always true that one doesn't know what to do
if one knows not why :-)

  Peter Kimpian:UN Special Rapporteur on right to privacy also accepted our
invitation

  Jim Galvin (Afilias):@alex - I agree.  I believe that a statement of
purpose will drive if not define all other questions that need to be
answered.

  Stephanie Perrin:I would like to volunteer, and I have 8 pretty good
questions already.

  Terri Agnew:Next week: GNSO Next-Gen RDS PDP Working Group teleconference
will take place on Wednesday, 22 February at 06:00 UTC for 90 minutes.

  Alex Deacon:are these questions to be asked during the session?   Or
submitted to the planning committee for this session?

  Stephanie Perrin:It would only be decent (and more productive) to provide
the questions in advance.  They are not experts in this area

  Andrew Sullivan:obv better to submit in advance without that being a
restriction

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):bye all

  Nathalie Coupet:bye

  Andrew Sullivan:bye bye