[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Dangers of public whois

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Fri Feb 17 13:55:47 UTC 2017

Allison

As others have said, if you have an issue please report it to ICANN, law enforcement, consumer protection etc.,
Some of us take our obligations very seriously and lumping all registrars and providers into one big bucket isn’t very helpful for constructive dialogue.
We get a number of whois complaints from ICANN every year and we investigate each and every one of them. In some cases it’s very obvious that the details provided are bogus, but in others it’s not and we have to spend time energy and effort going back and forth with our client and ICANN to resolve it. Sometimes this leads to domains being suspended or deleted, sometimes the whois gets updated, sometimes the complaint is denied. But each complaint is handled on its merits.

We also have a whois privacy service. It is NOT a fake address. You can check it in the Irish company office:
https://search.cro.ie/company/CompanyDetails.aspx?id=480317&type=C

Now you may not like that people and organisations choose to obfuscate their contact details via services like that one, but that’s a different issue entirely. I also personally have correspondence addresses in the US, mainland UK and a couple in Northern Ireland. I don’t live at any of them, but you can send me physical mail and I will get it. You could argue that the address is “fake”, but as I can get mail to it I’d suspect that in many cases it’d be considered valid.

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon