[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Dangers of public whois

John Bambenek jcb at bambenekconsulting.com
Mon Feb 20 16:55:31 UTC 2017

Regarding "misappropriation"...

If you wish to live in a cave, feel free to do so. Don't expect all of
society to bring the cave to you.

WHOIS data is used by spam harvesting sure, but it's by no means even a
significant piece of the problem.  If you want to solve the spam
problem, by all means, many of my investigations need help and I'm sure
the non-profit anti-spam outfits have volunteer opportunities.

If you want to stop online harassment, let's stop that problem.

If you are worried about suppression of free speech (and by this I
assume you mean repressive regimes), don't ever register a domain.  If
your own government is in your risk profile, the absolute worst thing
you can do is create paper trails.  There are options that don't require
a domain (or you could use any number of proxy registration options).  I
encourage you also to check out security without borders.

What this does NOT require is to treat all use of WHOIS in the prism of
these remarkably small number of edge cases.