[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Dangers of public whois

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 22:00:07 UTC 2017

Rob,

Thankfully, that's not what's being proposed (nor is it current practice).

Those of us who track down stolen, pirated, bootleg, or otherwise
infringing copyrighted materials on the web don't want to send anything to
or through ICANN.  They just need to find and contact the registrant and/or
the hosting provider and/or the registrar and/or the registry in order to
deal with them directly.  Since its inception, Whois has been instrumental
in doing so.

But nothing gets sent "to or through" ICANN. ICANN never sees infringing
content, is not aware of any infringing content, is not aware that any
particular copyright is being infringed, and is not aware that any possible
infringement is being investigated.

Greg

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 4:45 PM Rob Golding <rob.golding at astutium.com>
wrote:

> From ICANN's LinkedIn Page ...
> =
> ICANN doesn’t control content on the Internet.
> It cannot stop spam
> and it doesn’t deal with access to the Internet.
> =
>
> Seems fairly clear to me that an allegation about copyright infringement
> on a webpage shouldn't be sent to or through icann (unless the entirety of
> the next Harry Potter book is a bit short and can fit inside the 63
> character limits of a domain name)
>
> Rob
>

> ---

*Greg Shatan *C: 917-816-6428