[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] The principle for thin data (was Re: Principle on Proportionality for "Thin Data"access)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Jun 1 15:28:45 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 10:43:57AM -0400, Stephanie Perrin wrote:
> has appeared in the public record.  We should build this system so that
> everyone understands it, not just the experts.

With respect, I think that is an unrealistic expectation, at least for
the normal interpretation of "everyone" and "understands".  As nearly
as I can tell, a significant number of participants in this WG have a
fairly shaky understanding of how the underlying systems work.  I
don't think we ought to expect everyone on the Internet to understand
what happens with data they put on the Internet.

Instead, I think we should do what the WG charter says, which is to
work out the purposes and figure out what is needed.  It seems to me
we have done that for the thin data.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com