[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] The principle for thin data (was Re: Principle on Proportionality for "Thin Data"access)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Jun 1 17:41:13 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 12:43:54PM -0400, Ayden Férdeline wrote:
> I think it is a realistic expectation that registrants be provided with transparency around how their data will be utilised and in a manner that they can understand.

I don't know what happens at your registrar, but when I register
domains it is usually pointed out to me that the registration data is
public.  Indeed, for registrars it has become a sales opportunity, so
they have quite a lot of incentive to point it out to their customers.

I cannot comment on whether people understand, however, what it means
to release data on the Internet.  The sheer number of people who have
been shocked that their drunken selfies posted to Instagram cannot be
made to go away suggests to me that people don't really understand
what "publish data" means in the context of a network as pervasive and
fast as the one we have.

> That said, if the issues really are so complex that the average person cannot be expected to understand what will happen to their data after they register a domain, it sounds to me like one cannot meaningfully consent in the first place.

I would have said that before, too, but as I noted it sure looks like
some people in this WG don't understand how this all works, either --
even though people here have ostensibly signed up with the intention
of informing themselves of the issues.  Why, in this thread alone we
have several people who are either unable or unwilling to engage with
simple facts about how the Internet is actually designed and actually
works.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com