[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Purpose in accordance with Registry Agreement section 2.18

Rob Golding rob.golding at astutium.com
Sat Jun 3 08:32:54 UTC 2017

> This seems clear to me.  Of the 1600 WHOIS records randomly retrieved
> 59% (legal persons + p/p registrations) appear to not be natural persons.
> 33% appear to be natural persons.

There are lies, damned lies and then there are statistics ;)

I would have _thought_ that in general "companies" want people to know who and where they are, and "people" don't, so the 20% behind privacy systems are much more likely to be for natural rather than legal persons

I can't prove that , however as a comparison, I do have access to a number of different .UK tags and the underlying databases for those [.UK registrations have a type of Registrant], across 2 very different "target demographic" registrars ...
* business focussed registrar the registration %age of:
  UK Individuals is 54%
  UK Sole Trader 25%
  UK Ltd Company 11%
* retail / mass-market self-service registrar the registration %age of:
  UK Individuals is 61%
  UK Sole Trader 16%
  UK Ltd Company 10%

If you include the Foreign Individuals category the Natural Persons becomes 55% and 64% respectively

Nominet do a good "policing" job on opting back into whois disclosure domains used for "commerce" with individuals as registrants - it'd be worth getting stats from them, on what %age of opted-out domains get opted back in

Rob

---