[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Digital Privacy is Making Antitrust. Interesting Again

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon Jun 5 21:58:51 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 05, 2017 at 09:35:37AM -0500, Carlton Samuels wrote:
> ..its a competition issue, says the head of the German antitrust agency.

I think this is good news for our efforts.  For what it does is give
us another reinforcement of the principles around reasonable access
and informed consent.

The basic argument Andreas Mundt is referring to in the article is
this: if a giant player has all kinds of personal data locked up about
you, even with your consent, and nobody else can get to it, that seems
like a competitive advantage.

But of course, in the RDS case we're moving in the opposite direction.
We're trying to limit the data that is collected _at all_, and we're
trying to specify the conditions under which different interests can
access different parts of it.  We can therefore be the _model_ for
sane approaches, if only we do not fall prey to absolutist positions
or endless procedural dickering.

Some PII is going to get out by virtue of one being on the Internet.
Just imagine if there were some forum in which many different points
of view could come together and propose some strategies and principles
by which management of that data could be well founded!

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com