[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Who is in charge? (was Re: Why the thin data is necessary)]

John Bambenek jcb at bambenekconsulting.com
Thu Jun 8 08:40:18 UTC 2017

I find it telling the only actual entity that is named when we talk about whois scraping is domaintools, not actual spammers.

To me that means you are MORE concerned about people who are investigating abuse than the actual people causing the abuse. That is why I am not really interested in gated access to anything besides some obvious other reasons (there simply is no way to build it, it will break things, it will make all the abuse worse).

You have convinced me and others that the first step when you create gated rds is to kick out security researchers and the anti-abuse industry. I mean why else did we burn a few hundred emails and weeks and thin data, for crying out loud?

Based on the specific arguments made here it is clear to some the problem is not spam or abuse, the problem is there are those who fight it and it causes a bunch of headaches for the wrong people.

John Bambenek