[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Who is in charge? (was Re: Why the thin data is necessary)]

jonathan matkowsky jonathan.matkowsky at riskiq.net
Fri Jun 9 13:59:51 UTC 2017

Got it, thanks. It seems to be the same concern Greg was raising.

I would like to propose that we use the term "Thin" and "Thick" only as
adjective to describe a registrar or registry. When a registry operator has
the authoritative (or whatever term the majority decided we should now use
instead in the context of the RDS) information for the domain, they are
generally thought of as a Think registry, and where the registrars have
that information, the registry is usually thought of as a "Thin" registry
operator because their data set is more limited.

Within the context of an RDS, the term "Thin" data is that part of the data
set that is typically held by Thin registry operators. And we have been
talking about whether that part of the data set should be ungated and part
of the minimum public data set. Most concluded it should be. Now we
probably should go on to discuss what aspects of the data set that are
typically held by the registrars Thin registry operators should also be
included in the minimum public data set.

Let me know what you think of this framework. Thanks.

Regards,
Jonathan

Jonathan Matkowsky,
VP – IP & Brand Security
USA:: 1.347.467.1193 | Office:: +972-(0)8-926-2766
Emergency mobile:: +972-(0)54-924-0831
Company Reg. No. 514805332
11/1 Nachal Chever, Modiin Israel
Website <http://www.riskiq.co.il>
RiskIQ Technologies Ltd. (wholly-owned by RiskIQ, Inc.)