[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] List topics for this week

allison nixon elsakoo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 10:31:19 UTC 2017

There's a huge difference between domains and telephone numbers and I don't
think an article dated from 2000 brings relevant points.

-Domains are not inherently a method of contact
-Domains are not required to live and function in society
-Domain whois is a choice
-The abuse landscape is extremely different
-Social norms regarding handling spam have drastically shifted in the past
decades

So you as a private person wishing to claim your privacy rights with your
domain have a lot of options. If you don't choose to disclose your
information in whois, then no one has a right to it. If you do disclose,
knowing full well that whois is public, you shouldn't be surprised at the
results. The choice is yours. The entitlements you listed(control over
sharing, how data is used), on the Internet in 2017, are wholly
unenforceable for anything publicly available. The cat is either out of the
bag or it isn't. That's just how the Internet works. The world will not
stop turning for you if you Tweet your password.

Additionally, the owners of abusive domains are unlikely to attempt to
claim these rights as a private citizen, and this is the area most of us
are interested in anyways.

If we want to talk about ways to prevent abuse of whois data, first of all,
the "reverse lookup" and "historical" directories in their current state
are unlikely to be involved in abuse at all- quite unlike reverse phone
directories. They are far too costly for spamming purposes and wouldn't
yield more data than forward lookups and scraping.

Additionally, and far more importantly, a lot has changed since the year
2003. Norms have shifted. Most importantly, decent spam filtering has been
invented. Also, enforcement action is increasingly effective against spam
operations and abusers are increasingly seeing jail time. And finally,
social norms have shifted and more people understand the concept of privacy
via not disclosing.

So I think we need to look at how the Internet actually works today, not in
2003, and look at today's norms. We also need to look into how user
education can prevent nasty surprises from ever happening in the first
place, so people don't have any motivation to issue unreasonable demands to
somehow claw back public data and force everyone else in the world to
delete it. If the copyright police utterly failed to do that with DRM,
you're unlikely to succeed with whois data.