[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] List topics for this week

Rob Golding rob.golding at astutium.com
Fri Jun 16 09:01:54 UTC 2017

On 2017-06-15 17:43, Chen, Tim wrote:
> Using the arguments you have made about individual control over PII,
> what right does my chosen registrar or registry have to get
> compensated for my whois data?   Put another way, I get your point
> about 'recompense to registrants' but I don't understand how you can
> add in '& registrars & registries' unless an individual has explicitly
> given permission to those companies to monetize their whois data?

It was bereft of significant design consideration/comment over the
"systems and processing", but to me, I would expect that someone has to
collect/protect the data, run the system(s), distribute the (probably
micro-)payments, provide audit/reports and so on - those things cost
money, so was anticipating a sort-of revenue share model, rather than
direct monetisation as such

If we're going to have a "next-gen" RDS, why not make it a benefit to
the registrants, rather than compounding the current system of enforced
taxation for mandatory port-43 based BDSM we have now.

Rob