[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] [For Background] APWG report on phishers use of Domain Name System

allison nixon elsakoo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 20:04:18 UTC 2017

I access WHOIS data and derivatives through various portals and I do not
assume that my queries are truly anonymous, but I trust the companies I do
business with far more than the companies I query against.

If we accept gated access as a solution, we need convincing proof, not
empty promises.

-The gated access cannot have an inferior user interface compared to
current tools
-The gated access cannot have an inferior dataset
-The gated access cannot cost more money
-The gated access cannot expose defenders to risk from the same
registrants/registrars attacking them
-The gated access cannot be designed such that corrupt registrars or
jurisdictions can obstruct
-The gated access cannot block us from secondary processing necessary to
defend our networks

The gated system is supposed to replicate in a closed system what the open
system has accomplished naturally. This is an exceedingly difficult task,
and the price of failure is high.

If we close the WHOIS system, and start collecting personal data from
people with the new understanding that it is closed, and if the gated
system utterly fails, we may not have the option of ever re-opening it.

also +1 for using WHOIS data to differentiate between abused infrastructure
and criminal infrastructure. Does anyone remember in 2014 when the
legitimate DNS provider No-IP lost all its domains due to a court order?
That is exactly what happens when someone can't differentiate. It probably
isn't a coincidence that before the incident, noip.com was behind WHOIS
privacy, and after the incident, the company's address and contact info is
in the WHOIS. These are significant risks for an unreachable property
owner- they can lose their property.

Users need to be educated about all the risks so they can weigh them in a
manner that makes the most sense for their situation. It's not just junk
mail.

What happened to No-IP is more rare nowadays because investigators can
differentiate. Some here have argued that court orders should be required
to obtain WHOIS data. While I appreciate your faith in our government, I
can say from a realistic standpoint that once someone has sunk the massive
time and money to get a court order, they aren't going to ask for WHOIS
data. They're going to raid the datacenter and get all customers' data, and
kitchen sink. There are many historical examples of this, all stem from
inability to differentiate a criminal from their neighbors in the early
stages. This is less of a problem than it used to be. Making infrastructure
opaque brings us back to those days.

People attempting to engage in privacy activism need to understand these
histories because there is a serious risk of unintended consequences.
Privacy isn't a zero sum game, but it can be if the rulemakers don't
understand how the game works.