[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] a suggestion for "purpose in detail"

allison nixon elsakoo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 03:04:08 UTC 2017

not only is the pattern of lying useful, but the create/expiration dates
are useful for determining if an old domain is still owned by the original
registrar account(or someone they authorized a transfer to), or if it has
dropped and been re-registered, important for detecting impersonation.

When we do see a malicious domain using whois to impersonate someone by
copying their info, that gives stronger legal justification to take it down.

on a practical day to day basis, whois is legitimately more useful than any
certificates for determining the authenticity of a site, because years of
whois archives tell me about the actual legitimacy of the people behind it.
Does the story they tell in the whois match up with the story I hear from
somewhere else?

Whois is the rope with which bad actors hang themselves.

For every piece of data that is already gathered under the most
comprehensive WHOIS regime, there is a strong industry backed argument that
the data needs to continue being collected, and for it to remain available.

So fully standardizing this will probably force some registrars to collect
and share far more data than they currently do, and it's unlikely to reduce
the data collected by the ones who collect more.