[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] a suggestion for "purpose in detail"

John Bambenek jcb at bambenekconsulting.com
Wed Mar 22 13:46:29 UTC 2017

The legal review previously discussed seemed pretty clear. What data protection law requires changes greatly if data elements are optional and/or can be masked.

Facebook doesn't have to consider every piece of information it collects and each field because all of them are optional.

We very clearly DO need to consider whether fields are optional and/or they can be masked if we are going to consider data protection laws as a requirement.

For instance, we can't say DP laws say we don't need phone number and can't collect it if we aren't considering consent and whether its an option or requirement.

Sent from my iPhone