[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] a suggestion for "purpose in detail"

John Horton john.horton at legitscript.com
Wed Mar 22 16:33:22 UTC 2017

Thanks, Nathalie. I'm sure many share your frustration!

I think that's a constructive question, and I'll jump in. My biggest fear
is that in the monitoring that companies like mine do for banks, payment
providers, e-commerce companies, etc. that helps determine whether a
merchant is who they say they are, and whether they are engaged in other
bad activity (i.e., laundering money) will be unable to obtain access to
the Whois records we need in order to preserve the integrity of the
payments system, protect payment providers from risk, and derivatively
protect consumers. In other words, my fear is that we'll lose access to
Whois records, which we need for that purpose.

Actually, to be honest, that's not true -- my biggest fear (to answer your
question directly) is of clowns, and every time I travel, I ask the hotel
to please check for clowns in my closet before I enter the room. But I
assume you didn't really want to know my biggest fear -- you just want to
know my biggest fear in relation to Whois policy, correct? Two different
things, but yeah -- if a clown jumped out of my hotel closet, that would
probably be the realization of my biggest fear. That's probably nothing
that this working group can do much about, though.

John Horton
President and CEO, LegitScript

*Follow LegitScript*: LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/legitscript-com>  |  Facebook