[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Reputation systems are not just nice to have (was Re: What we want redux)

jonathan matkowsky jonathan.matkowsky at riskiq.net
Mon Oct 2 07:21:50 UTC 2017

Good point

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 3:30 PM Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 11:57:15AM -0700, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> > I disagree, I think that a case can be made that reputation systems are
> > important, but they're not essential to the operation of the DNS.
>
> Of course, the RDS _itself_ is not essential to the operation of the
> DNS.  We have already decided that the RDS is distinct from the SRS.
> You need some kind of registration system to get data into the DNS.
> You do not actually need an out-of-band troubleshooting mechanism.
>
> But it makes distributed operation with distributed authority _way,
> way_ easier if we have such a mechanism, which is part of what makes
> it legitimate.  Reputation systems are an important part of the actual
> functioning of the Internet and the use of the DNS, and they rely in
> part on information about domain names.
>
> >   You
> > might as easily say that because advertising revenue is also used "in
> > support of domain name operation", we need to make sure that the DNS
> > supports that.
>
> The difference that makes the difference, of course, is that
> information about domain names is directly relevant to the reputation
> decision-making process, and is not relevant to advertising revenue.
>
> Note that revenue considerations in general are not completely
> irrelevant for us: if we decided on something that was hugely
> expensive for some operators, we'd fail.
>
> Best regards,

> Andrew Sullivan
> ajs at anvilwalrusden.com

Jonathan Matkowsky

This message was sent from RiskIQ, and is intended only for the designated
recipient(s). It may contain confidential or proprietary information and
may be subject to confidentiality protections. If you are not a designated
recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you
receive this in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete
this message. Thank you.