[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] On unauthenticated vs gated access (was Re: Reputation systems are not just nice to have)

allison nixon elsakoo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 23:53:55 UTC 2017

What problem would this be intended to solve?

If it is intended to solve whois spam, that can be better addressed by
registering domains with spamtrap addresses or using whois proxies to
aggregate whois spam. Perhaps some encouragement to the anti spam community
to dedicate more resources to coming down hard on these guys. I know some
of them have been targeted with legal action and i fully support more of
that.

Researchers wont be caught out by it because by and large we use
aggregators, and the whois audit logs will summarily be full of "i am whois
aggregator X and my purpose is to aggregate whois" and they will have the
full support of the community, as they fulfill critical parts of the anti
abuse purpose.

I just dont see a need to create a gray area between public and private
data. Additionally this will create confusion as this mechanism cannot
prevent abuse and some less savvy people might think it does. They need to
be encouraged to provide correspondence addresses, not necessarily the
addresses they give out to friends and family.

This is part of the personal responsibility they need to take when they
venture out into the internet, which they should learn sooner rather than
later that it will not guarantee their safety. If they don't get the
concept, redacted whois wont save them and they shouldn't be registering
domains anyways.

Maybe the concept of a correspondence address is something that should be
taught to the public. A lot of the popular online video streamers that take
fan donations do this. They provide a PO box or forwarding address, not
necessarily the exact place they sleep at night. And they do this
specifically because of the harassment problem.

Just as video stars need a correspondence address in order to do their
business, a domain owner should provide some kind of correspondence
information because being reachable if the domain goes haywire is part of
owning a domain.