[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Reputation systems are not just nice to have (was Re: What we want redux)

Rob Golding rob.golding at astutium.com
Wed Oct 4 00:50:16 UTC 2017

> And yet we are told by
> those who do NOT work in this field and do NOT contribute to solving
> this problem, that we don't need this information.

A number of those contributing to the discussion are registrars and
web-hosts, who deal every day with abuse issues, so very much are the
people who deal with "solving this problem" (and are also those telling
you that WHOIS data contributes to abuse against real-people rather than
abstracts)

> As far as I can tell, only the anti-abuse people have even proposed a
> compromise... whois privacy for free.

Some registrars have offered this for years, although now ICANN thinks
it should control/set policy/tax that kind of service it may not remain
'free' for long, and certainly isn't free to the registrar to provide
(and still leaves the GDPR issue over escrow outstanding)

Rob