[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] WSGR Follow Up Question - primary / secondary purposes

Marika Konings marika.konings at icann.org
Wed Oct 4 19:51:13 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Following on from the thread below to ensure that all the relevant information is kept together, WSGR provided the following response to a follow up question from the leadership team asking to further distinguish between primary and secondary purpose and highlight its relevance for the WG’s deliberations:

In theory the primary purposes are the ones for which the data were originally collected or processed, and secondary purposes are ones that may arise after that or in addition to that. I would also add that it can be difficult to distinguish between the two, and the main thing to remember is that each purpose requires a legal basis before data are processed. I would urge the WG to concentrate on providing a legal basis for the purposes of processing, rather than getting bogged down in a further debate on distinguishing primary and secondary purposes.

As a reminder, you will find the final memorandum attached.

Best regards,

Marika