[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] FW: IMPORTANT

Paul Keating Paul at law.es
Wed Oct 18 13:17:23 UTC 2017

Michele,

The law on jurisdiction is not simply about ³doing business² in the common
sense (which a non-lawyer would presume references offices, employees, etc).
The GDPR attempts to expand jurisdiction to cover any entity that sells to
European residents.  Unless a registrar/registry were to absolutely preclude
Europeans from registering domain names (or purchasing any other
product/service), the language of the GDPR could extend so as to include
that entity within its confines.   It would be difficult to imagine a
registrar/registry being successful in such a case.

Paul