[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] another document that might be of interest

nathalie coupet nathaliecoupet at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 23 21:02:51 UTC 2017

@Michele,
Thank you Michele for meeting me half way. It's difficult to understand and explain what is going on with DNS resolution, WHOIS and who is involved with whom based on what contract. We are in the process of launching a new website. We didn't know who the web hosting company was nor the identity of the registrant (there were so many volunteers who were handling website issues, that nobody knows who did what). Our new tech person looked up the information and found out the name of the web hosting company. But we don't know who the registrant is. This query was then sent to the web hosting company. Our tech person wanted to have both websites (the new one and the old) to show us the difference. Does that make sense? Second question: Is this relevant to our work? :)

@All:
With regards to the process and treatment of consent, two US laws seem particularly relevant.
The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) - the Financial Modernization Act of 1999, to govern the collection, disclosure and protection of the personal information gathered by financial institutions about their customers.
3 sections: 1) Financial Privacy Rule (collection and disclosure)
2) Safeguards Rule (security program)

3) Pretexting provisions (forbids looking up PPI on any pretext or to help out people = definition of purposes for looking up information, regulates human behavior) + financial institutions to give customers written privacy notices that explain their information-sharing practices. Privacy Policy Agreement between the company and the customer.
The GLB Act provides no opt-out right in several situations: - a financial institution shares information with outside companies that provide essential services like data processing or servicing accounts;- the disclosure is legally required;- a financial institution shares customer data with outside service providers that market the financial company's products or services
The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) is a federal law enacted to regulate the colection, dissemination and use of consummer info, including consummer credit information. It is responsible for the 'opt-out' option. Safeguards Rule = financial management must develop a written information security plan:1) what information is non-public and confidential2) what information is considered improper to release3) what is considered a serious risk to the organization's interests or its security, or to its customers, employees or vendors. 4) what the compliance implications would be according to the GLBA requirements.
So, if we apply this legislation to WHOIS data, would safeguards developped by ICANN and other data processors/collectors suffice to solve the legitimate use problem, as affirmed by John Bambenek? Could the 'no opt-out' option be counterbalanced by a rigorous security information plan and even replace the need to obtain consent for each and every transaction? This would ensure stability and availability of the data, temper the effects of the 'right to be forgotten' on the availability of services and ensure technical continuity. (I hope this is relevant. :)  Nathalie