[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] another document that might be of interest

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Oct 24 19:46:00 UTC 2017

Dear colleagues,

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 03:13:15PM -0400, Greg Shatan wrote:

> This is a false dichotomy for several reasons.

[and a bunch of other stuff with which I largely agree].  On top of
what Greg says, I think it a strange idea that registrants' interests
are best served by eliminating a tool to increase the reliability and
utility of domain name registrations.  Apart from (IMO parasitic)
domain name speculators, the whole point of registering a domain name
is to function on the Internet.  As I have now said too often to
count, the Internet is partly novel becase it offers distributed
operation and management among operators with no necessary prior
contractual relationship, or even one that is available transitively
through some other contract.  In order to get that kind of operation,
certain tools are a _required_ feature.  One of them is that, if you're
going to operate any infrastructure (and domain names are Internet
infrastructure), certain details about how to reach you are just going
to be required.

We can certainly debate the best way to make that happen, and how much
of it is necessary.  But I don't think it is ever going to be
completely optional, and I think anyone who thinks it can be
completely optional or for that matter not in registrants' interests
needs to think a little harder about the operational and protocol
realities of the Internet as it exists now.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com