[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] another document that might be of interest

Rod Rasmussen rod at rodrasmussen.com
Wed Oct 25 01:15:25 UTC 2017

Thank you Andrew, could not have stated this better.

Folks, we have to remember that whois exists for a reason - it wasn’t a whim created to enable spam (which didn’t exist at the time) or enable state surveillance, it was created for the operational realities of trying to coordinate actions and issues between network operators, domain holders, and those responsible for making sure the networks could interconnect properly and domains resolve properly.  That FUNDAMENTAL reason for having a whois database, RDS or whatever you call it has not changed.  The Internet isn’t a single entity, it is millions of entities representing a myriad of network categories and users all working together to create this amazing global unification tool that all of us today are so lucky to enjoy.  Being able to contact responsible parties when something goes wrong from technical issues to abuse to rights infringement to outright crime is a necessary adjunct to all of us hooking up these networks and network identifiers together in a reliably interoperable world.  If we have no tools or information to do this, then the “Balkanization” of the Internet in many ways is a very likely possibility as network operators will logically and likely in concern for their own liability, start to excise portions of the network they cannot trust due to lack of contactabilty, transparency or accountability a non-whois world would have.  I personally will not rest until we remove that possible outcome, at least on the question of providing reliable contact data via an RDS so that these fundamental issues and responsibilities of identifier holders can be rectified by those affected by them.

Cutting through all the rancor, assertions, positions, etc. that we’ve seen on this group, if we could all agree with THIS fundamental concept of why we need an RDS populated with useful data, the sooner we can work on the frankly “side issues” that various legal issues in various parts of the world present as challenges towards making that happen easily.

Best,

Rod