[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] another document that might be of interest

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Fri Oct 27 17:08:27 UTC 2017

To be truthful, yes...

ICANN 'should' set policies and/or 'laws' if you will, and if they are
in conflict, at some time in the future lawyers and judges smarter than
us will weigh those conflicts and determine what greater good  should be
decided ..

But if you tried to accommodate every legal jurisdiction, and every
possible law that might need to be considered, this project is done
before it starts.

Already, I know that for instance the Canadian legislations around spam,
and recommendations for proper 'whois' for instance might play a role..
(Have to dig up my notes)

I suggest the ICANN just go ahead, set standards that are best for the
operation of the 'Internet' as per it's mandates, and once those
policies are in place, I am sure that future law makers would take those
policies into consideration when writing those laws.

And to add a personal rant.. if 'whois' requirements disappear, as they
are quietly doing right now.. the internet itself will 'make' the rules,
the void cannot exist.  And if that happens, history shows those rules
will be dictated by large players, via other organizations (eg MAAWG,
IETF, W3)..

ICANN needs to get ahead of this..

It is taking way too long already..

IMHO, simply say WHOIS 'must' show public information, if you want to
use this 'public' resource. ICANN should send that clear message to all
registrars NOW..

I just moved a few domains to a new registrar and found that by default
they put 'privacy' on, even when not requested, unless you opt out.. (I
think pretty soon they will charge for a listing, ala phone directories
of old)

And the legal issues IMHO can simply be dealt with in terms of 'informed
consent' and a clear 'purpose' document.  I don't think ANY government
would challenge it in a court of law, and I do not think any law maker
would take a challenge from 'privacy' advocates.. if that was in place..

Oh, I get the idea and the need for some wiggle room, even I have a
couple of domains that I do want privacy on, simply because historically
companies doing what we do have been the targets of actual physical
attacks and abuse.. But I would give up that privacy, even for those..
If I didn't have to put a physical address or telephone number (email's
don't count, they can be protected)

When registering for a new domain (or renewing), simply inform them
[oversimplify] IF YOU WANT A DOMAIN NAME THAT is accessible publicly,
YOU HAVE TO DISCLOSE who you are.. <link to purpose> <Click here that
you agree to this term>

As a company that is involved in email, spam protection and other core
internet services, our auditors see thousands and thousands of malicious
and/or throwaway domain names every day.. and the fake paypal/amex
domains used for phishing, crime, ransomware all hide behind either fake
registrants or privacy of course.

And just like how us in the messaging abuse community already have set
down 'unwritten' rules that mail senders have to follow (eg domain HAS
to have an MX/A record) if ICANN doesn't take a leadership role here,
those that need to make the internet a workable and safe environment
will set down these rules..

Already, many of us in this community are already starting down that
path.. 'Sorry, can't do anything, can only talk to the registered owner
of that domain, and we can't tell who that is..'

Frankly, if 'whois' disappeared, our job would be near impossible..
BTW, the 'old' whois protocol still works, if used properly..

ARIN is running into the same issue now.. even though it is mandated
that correct SWIP/rwhois MUST be in place..  and they ratified that in
recent amendments for IPv6 space..

So, in summary.. yes.. just push through with ICANN 'setting the rules',
and forget about what law in what jurisdiction may be at odds.  People
do not HAVE to get a domain, it is a privilege, not a right, and not
mandatory... Otherwise people would not get domains revoked ;)  Which
probably is against a law somewhere too..

(can't use most internet services without agreeing to terms, and in the
case of domains, one of those terms is you MUST be willing to have the
ownership disclosed publicly)  How much data is covered by that, is what
ICANN can decide, and it should do that right away..