[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Legal basis vs. lawful

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Tue Feb 6 22:41:03 UTC 2018

Using a set theory/Venn diagram approach here is my one shot comment here:

We are taking about the act of "processing" here. The universe of
processes can be divided into Lawful and Unlawful. None of the Unlawful
are Legal. Of the Lawful some are coded into law (and may have
forms/procedures that must accompany processing). They are Legal (in a
technical sense). Legal is an identifiable subset within Lawful.

Here if one wants to cast the "right to process" with a wide net, go for
Lawful. If one wants to cast the "right to process" with a narrow net,
go for Legal. If one wants Integrity, well that is a whole other kettle
of fish.

As I read that, if one wants to restrict access to Law Enforcement
Agencies and Court Orders, one goes for Legal. If one wants access by
misc. security interests, detectives, fraud hunters, etc. one goes for
Lawful.

Sam L.

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: sam at lanfranco.net   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852