[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Using the GDPR as a basis for RDS Policy is backwards

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at nic.br
Wed Feb 14 17:58:05 UTC 2018

> On 14 Feb 2018, at 15:50, Michele Neylon - Blacknight <michele at blacknight.com> wrote:
>
> Steve
>
> Welcome to the WG – so now we know the answer to the question about what happens to ICANN Board Chairs when they step down ..
>
> On a more serious note – I don’t disagree, but unfortunately a lot of our time and energy has been wasted with arguments that cling to the “status quo”. Unless that attitude changes dramatically it’ll be hard to make progress in a timely fashion.

And that preference for the "status quo" goes up to current ICANN Board, in their recent acceptance of GAC Advice that asked exactly for that. If anything else, the GDPR incident should have taught us to develop requirements from ground up, giving them credibility and legitimacy to be presented to DPAs in all countries, even if they do not fit a standard privacy model due to mixing private and public information.

Rubens