[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Using the GDPR as a basis for RDS Policy is backwards

John Horton john.horton at legitscript.com
Wed Feb 14 21:37:40 UTC 2018

Michele,

One leading (US-based) registrar informed me that even though they could be
more granular if they wished to, they wanted to just extend the identical
(i.e., GDPR-level) protections to all registrants globally simply due to
"cost-benefit analysis" -- that it was more convenient for them and less
work. I personally do not consider that a valid justification, standing
alone. I do not wish any registrar to incur unreasonable costs, but a
registrar's profit margin goals should not drive policy.

John Horton
President and CEO, LegitScript

*Follow LegitScript*: LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/legitscript-com>  |  Facebook