[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Using the GDPR as a basis for RDS Policy

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Feb 14 22:12:32 UTC 2018

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 05:14:28PM +0100, Volker Greimann wrote:

> Heretic thought of the day: We will probably be looking at a
> thin/distributed model again, or at least a model where data does not leave
> certain jurisdictions without legitimate reasons/justification.

As I have argued repeatedly, the only justifications for
centralisation and "thick" registries in the first place were (1)
deficiencies in the whois protocol that made distributed operation
hard and (2) bad-actor registrars who wouldn't keep their data in good
shape.

(1) is, of course, solved by ditching whois for a better protocol,
which protocol we already have built and waiting for use.  One could
even put a whois "gloss" on such a protocol (which would in that case,
of course, only hand out the minimal data), so that people's tools
don't all break overnight.  This is all well understood by anyone
remotely familiar with network operations (cf. Scott H's excellent
testbed).

(2) is, of course, not solved at all by centralisation, since the
(competent) bad actors just lie when they upload the data.  There
never was an advantage there, as anyone familiar with network fraud
told people even at the time.

So I don't think the idea is heretical at all.  I think it's a good
idea.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com