[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Using the GDPR as a basis for RDS Policy is backwards

John Horton john.horton at legitscript.com
Wed Feb 14 22:36:00 UTC 2018

Rubens,

I think I see where the disconnect might be. Section 3.2.2 says
"Extraterritorial reach as described in section 3.2.1 above will apply, for
instance, when registrars and registries established outside the EU provide
their domain name registration services to natural persons in the EU."

Are you interpreting that to mean: "If a registrar/registry outside of the
EU markets/offers their services to natural persons in the EU (that is, you
either have some customers in the EU or you potentially could), then they
are fully subject to the GDPR for all of their registrations."? Because I
think that's a misreading of it. I think it means "with respect to the
*actual* provision of services to a natural person in the EU." In other
words, taking it to an extreme, I think you might be interpreting the
Hamilton language in 3.2.2 to mean that all of a non-EU registrar's
registrants are entitled to full GDPR protection if that registrar has even
a single *potential* customer in the EU. However, I think they mean that
even a non-EU registrar has to ensure that any natural person in the EU is
afforded GDPR protections (and I'd agree with you on that -- my own company
has been deep into GDPR compliance even though we aren't in the EU).

John Horton
President and CEO, LegitScript

*Follow LegitScript*: LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/legitscript-com>  |  Facebook