[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Legal Inquiry to ICANN

Michael Palage michael at palage.com
Wed Feb 14 23:01:25 UTC 2018

Chuck,

As one of the original authors to the this extraterritorial thread, I
welcome all the legal interpretation by both lawyers and non-lawyers in
connection the scope to Article 3 of the GDPR. I  think it is fair to say
there is a clear lack of consensus.  Therefore I would like to propose the
following.  Allow the group to comprise a list of legal questions regarding
this issue and forward it to ICANN.org and ask of them the following:

1.	Provide the list of questions to Hamilton for a response
2.	Have ICANN legal provide a response to these same questions

The reason for Number 2 is that John Jeffrey made very clear in the last
webinar that he does NOT agree with all of the Hamilton analysis.  I think
us ICANN volunteers toiling away in the PDP coal mine are entitled/deserve
an answer to these questions to allow us to move forward with more
productive work It does the group no good for a bunch of well-intentioned
individuals lacking the requisite legal training to debate these issues.

Best regards,

Michael