[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Legal Inquiry to ICANN

Dotzero dotzero at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 13:58:56 UTC 2018

To simply assert that the extraterritorial nature of GDPR is the end all
and be all falls into the realm of the absurd. If another jurisdiction
passes legislation mandating publication of identifying (personal)
information in whois, what then? What happens if you are "Trumped" by U.S.
legislation? Do you really want to see a trade war or worse? We are dealing
with a complex and difficult situation that is the equivalent of wrestling
a jello snake in a vat of oil. We are best served by seeking outcomes that
accommodate GDPR as best as possible and recognize that other jurisdictions
do not necessarily follow the same principles as GDPR. I say this even
though I agree with many of the principles embodied in GDPR.

Michael Hammer