[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Using the GDPR as a basis for RDS Policy is backwards

Paul Keating Paul at law.es
Thu Feb 15 14:56:01 UTC 2018

Rubens,

You stated:

> * There is a limited set of registrants that is entitled to GDPR protection.
> There is a very large class of registrants that is not entitled to GDPR
> protection. There is disagreement about where this line is, but this seems to
> be something where consensus is possible and there's an objectively, legally
> correct answer."
And,

>> 1. The GDPR applies to, and is intended to benefit, a limited set of
>> registrants.
>
> No, no agreement with that state

I completely disagree.  The GDPR does in fact act only to bind Data
Collectors and Processors as to data concerning a specific and limited set
of people (EU residents).  That registrars may seek to apply it across the
board to all registrants is a matter of convenience and risk avoidance given
the potential issues of properly identifying whether the registrant is in
fact one of the protected class.  While I cannot fault the registrars for
wanting to limit risk, I do object to the objective miss-statement of the
law.

Paul Keating.