[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Krebs On Security article RE whois and GDRP

John Horton john.horton at legitscript.com
Fri Feb 16 18:52:51 UTC 2018

I think quite a bit in this WG and certainly in the prior privacy/proxy
PDP, and absolutely what we're seeing with GoDaddy. To make sure I'm being
clear about what I mean, GoDaddy isn't only redacting Whois information
(via Port 43) where it's an EU natural citizen or natural resident. The
information is being redacted for....everyone. All registrants. There's
simply no justification for that.

I predict you'd see (I'm not speaking for anyone here, just me) a real
willingness on the security and compliance community's part to compromise
and support a system where, IF a registrant is an EU natural person (yes, I
know we need to define it accurately -- citizen, resident, we can get
granular later) then...hey, let's set up a system in involving redaction of
some fields, access to those fields in legitimate cases, etc. I want to
support registrars' compliance with the GDPR. But we're seeing the
registrar community say: We want to apply this globally. To all domain name
registrations. Doesn't matter if the registrant is the intended beneficiary
of the new law, or in scope, or not. We're going to just change global
policy.

I think that viewpoint has been pretty repeatedly represented in this
working group, but I'd love to hear from registrars that would support a
more targeted solution where only the intended beneficiaries of the GDPR
(that is, in-scope registrants) are covered under the policy.

John Horton
President and CEO, LegitScript

*Follow LegitScript*: LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/legitscript-com>  |  Facebook