[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Krebs On Security article RE whois and GDRP

Tapani Tarvainen ncsg at tapani.tarvainen.info
Fri Feb 16 21:05:35 UTC 2018

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 10:52:51AM -0800, John Horton via gnso-rds-pdp-wg (gnso-rds-pdp-wg at icann.org) wrote:

> But we're seeing the registrar community say: We want to apply this
> globally. To all domain name registrations. Doesn't matter if the
> registrant is the intended beneficiary of the new law, or in scope,
> or not.

Intended beneficiaries of the GDPR are all the people in the world.

The recitals make that quite clear.

In particular EU wants to protect also non-European individuals
against European companies even if that would mean giving competitive
advantage to non-European companies, strange though that may seem to
some.

--
Tapani Tarvainen