[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Krebs On Security article RE whois and GDRP

pkngrds at klos.net pkngrds at klos.net
Sun Feb 18 15:09:18 UTC 2018

On 2/18/2018 9:14 AM, consult at cgomes.com wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> Let me first call attention to the fact that I cc’d the leadership
> team so that they can judge whether my suggestion was ridiculous or not.

Let me call attention to the fact that I cc'd the entire list so the
community can be involved in the conversation as well. (as you say "we
all have to work collaboratively in this WG")

> I am not in a position to determine what the truth is in this situation,

Well, I AM in such a position because IT HAPPENED TO ME.

> but, even if you are correct in your assessment, giving Sara a chance
> to respond to your strong accusation privately

Big companies like GoDaddy will not respond privately - it's beneath
them.  Believe me, I've tried.

If Sara was interested in responding to my claims, she has had every
opportunity to do so, either privately or publicly.  I have not heard a
peep from her.

> would be much more respectful than making your  accusation publicly.

It's not an accusation - it's a statement of facts.  I welcome Sara
and/or GoDaddy to present any evidence to the contrary.

> Email communications are very easily misunderstood and/or poorly
> expressed.  I do not know whether that is the case here or not; I am
> sure you do not believe that is the case, but giving her the benefit
> of the doubt and asking her to explain further privately would have
> been a much better approach in my opinion.

As I said, I have no reason to believe she would respond to a private
discussion of this matter.  I have tried several time to discuss
GoDaddy's port 43 restrictions with them and they would not respond to
me.  GoDaddy is too big to care about the opinions of a single
anti-phishing anti-spam anti-abuse advocate that disagrees with
GoDaddy's illegal restrictions on port 43 WHOIS.

> The fact is that we all have to work collaboratively in this WG.

Which is why this should be discussed on the list as well.  I know I'm
not the only person on the list that feels this way.

Patrick Klos
Phishcop Admin