[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Krebs On Security article RE whois and GDRP

Paul Keating Paul at law.es
Tue Feb 20 11:28:51 UTC 2018

Sara,

You say:

" This is impossible in an environment where Port 43 access is unregulated,
and we can¹t distinguish legitimate users from bad guys.   Therefore, we
encourage folks to contact us about getting their IPs added to our
whitelist."

I find this difficult to swallow.  With a white list program you can easily
see the source of the traffic.

As for the white list project ­ the nature of the continued limitations show
that there is no real intent to allow even the good guys to have access.

Why are the Whitelist limitations so low?

You are very clearly detracting from the ability of the security industry to
do its work.  I see no real reason for GD doing so other than (a) spite, or
(b) wanting to create scarcity for economic reasons.

Paul