[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Facebook loses Belgian court case over consent and tracking

Tapani Tarvainen ncsg at tapani.tarvainen.info
Tue Feb 20 18:47:51 UTC 2018

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 01:38:44PM -0500, Steve Crocker (steve at shinkuro.com) wrote:

> I'm truly puzzled.  Are we seriously discussing the possibility that
> resolution of a domain name lookup will depend on who I am and what
> credentials I have?

Of course not.

It's an attempt to make a reductio ad absurdum argument, like this:

If we accept the idea that GDPR can restrict publication of WHOIS data,
it will necessarily also restrict publication of DNS data.
As the latter is obviously intolerable, it follows the former must be, too.

The argument is of course bogus. The reasons GDPR restricts WHOIS
publication do not apply to DNS.

--
Tapani Tarvainen