[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] The Adobe Connect -> Flash problem

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Feb 21 08:15:17 UTC 2018

Hi, with an especial hi to the Chairs,

This is just a meta-issue, and therefore entirely inappropriate for
debate on list.  I am posting this for the record, but I expect (and
plead for) no follow-ups on list.

Some of us work in an environment where Flash is no longer acceptable
or permitted.  As near as I can tell, Adobe Connect requires Flash at
least on Linux.  I'm not asking the WG to do anything about this (or
even say anything about it), but I do wish to register my concern that
decisions about how the top-most layer of the DNS will work are being
made in such a way that those who can't use Adobe's software[1] are
necessarily excluded.  It seems like a problem.  I'll work around it,
but it isn't something that should have to be worked around.  HTML5 is
long since here.

I do wish to emphasise that I think any follow-up on list would be
off-charter (except in case any admin wanted to ack the post and
reaffirm that further discussion is off-charter!).

[1] software which is utterly contrary to everything the Web is
designed to do, in the bargain.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com