[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Cancellation of RDS PDP WG meetings at ICANN62

Statton Hammock Statton.Hammock at markmonitor.com
Thu May 10 01:19:42 UTC 2018

Thanks Chuck.

Well explained.

Stat

Statton Hammock
V.P. Global Policy & Industry Development
MarkMonitor / Clarivate Analytics
Ph: 415.971.3561

On May 9, 2018, at 5:04 PM, Chuck <consult at cgomes.com<mailto:consult at cgomes.com>> wrote:

Dear WG members,
The GNSO Council leaders gave us as the Next Generation RDS to replace WHOIS PDP WG leadership team permission to decide whether the WG should meet during ICANN62 in Panama and we have decided to NOT hold any meetings there.  We apologize to any of you who have already made travel plans to Panama but hope that this notice will be soon enough to change them as applicable.
The reason for our decision is two-fold:

  1.  If the Board implements a Temporary Policy for GDPR Compliance:
     *   A PDP or Expedited PDP will be immediately initiated on the terms of that Policy.
     *   There will not be sufficient resources to support the Temporary Policy effort and the RDS PDP at the same time, so, at a minimum, the RDS PDP WG would be suspended until the new policy work is completed, which cannot be more than one year.
  2.  If the Board does not implement a Temporary Policy and the GNSO Council decides to continue the RDS PDP WG, then we firmly believe that it would be best to review and revise WG methods before resuming work.  We also believe that it would take more time than is available before the Panama meetings to complete such a review and revision.
Whatever happens, it will be up to the Council and the GNSO as a whole to determine the status of the RDS PDP WG going forward.  That will be easier to do once it is known what the Board decides to do regarding GDPR compliance.
If you have any questions, please let us know.
Sincerely,
Chuck, Caitlin, David, Lisa, Marc, Marika, Michele & Susan