[Gnso-rpm-data] Recordings, attendance & AC Chat for Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) Sub Team for Data call on Friday, 20 October 2017 at 16:00 UTC

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Fri Oct 20 18:52:39 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email. The MP3, Adobe Connect recording and Adobe Connect chat below for the Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) Sub Team for Data call held Friday, 20 October 2017at 16:00 UTC. Attendance of the call is posted on agenda wiki page:  https://community.icann.org/x/SpVEB

MP3: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-rpm-review-20oct17-en.mp3
Adobe Connect recording: https://participate.icann.org/p22sklqj5q4/

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:https://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

Main wiki page for the working group: https://community.icann.org/x/eI1EB

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 20 October 2017:

 Michelle DeSmyter:Dear all, Welome to the Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) - Working Group/Sub Team for Data meeting on Friday, 20 October 2017 at 16:00 UTC
  Michelle DeSmyter:Agenda wiki page:https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_SpVEB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=UHB9J2kmvXmRjIN9pKF0fIPgD3Lo5Q4fN0j-q65yY1g&s=EBmpo9JvqChJ1WJYqYpAd2sz350Q2TcZf-xq4Tq0Dpo&e=
  Michael R Graham:Sorry -- waiting for phone line for audio
  J. Scott:I just joined audio, but I am muted due tp my location
  Michael R Graham:On at last!
  Michael R Graham:I have  to grab documents from my desk - be right back
  Susan Payne:@Kurt good idea, i think we could do that
  Susan Payne:good variation
  Kurt Pritz:I agree with Susan's agreement
  Susan Payne:I think it addresses the concern we all have that we don't want to commit to chairing, all meetings knowing we have capacity issues
  J. Scott:@Kristine. I think that sounds like a workable solution. Not only should you all agree on an agenda at the end of each call, but you could also identify the leader for the next call.
  Mary Wong:Thanks J Scott and everyone
  Michael R Graham:Back
  Mary Wong:That's the staff understanding, Kurt
  Mary Wong:@Michael, yes
  Kurt Pritz:I listened to it last night
  J. Scott:I think we should assume that they have minimal understanding
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Agreed.
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Fully agree Susan.
  J. Scott:Agree Susan
  Mary Wong:That is the staff understanding as well, Susan and Kristine.
  J. Scott:Would it just be a question about whether they had a premium pricing model and then what was the number of sunrise registrations they took in?
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:No, I don't think so...it doesn't get to actual cause/effect..would have they participated but for pricing?
  Kiran Malancharuvil:I’m on an airplane and internet keeps cutting in and out. if I get kicked out for good, I apologize! sorry for the lack of active participation.
  Mary Wong:Isn't Susan's concern about why are we asking this of ROs? If we are going to ask ROs, what do we need to find out from them?
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Yes.  we have to ask ROs because that wsa decided.  We don't all agree that this is a good Q.  :)
  Susan Payne:nail on the head Kristine
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:IMO we don't get to go back and say we think a question is terrible.  We tried that and lost.
  J. Scott:I agree with Kurt. Making knowledge of the system a basic requirement is a very good criteria.
  Mary Wong:@Kristine, understood - but the Council did ask that we "structure the data request in such a way that the value and relevance of the data is maximised." So if this Sub Team thinks there is no question that can be usefully asked of ROs for this point, maybe the WG chairs can be consulted as to whether it is is acceptable to not ask about this point?
  Susan Payne:I think we can ask, I don't think we can say there's no question here that we can ask - we just may get relatively few responses on some points, and more on others
  Mary Wong:OK Susan and Kristine - staff isn't advocating to delete anything, just exploring scope. Thank you!
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:I think it's a slippery slope.  We risk opening things up again.  I agree with Susan.  Figure out a question and move on, know we'll get no responses.  there are some people in the full group that want to ask and don't believe the answer will be crickets, so perhaps the best solution is to just let them get that answer.
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:No, I get it, just a little back and forth!  Appreciate your fighting for brevity.
  Mary Wong::)
  Kiran Malancharuvil:agree with Susan as well.
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:I have to bail.  I support assigning sections and will happily take whatever section I'm assigned, if that's the path you agree on.  Sorry to jump.
  Mary Wong:Thanks for jumping on even with a conflict, Kristine - much appreciated!
  Susan Payne:thanks Kristine
  Mary Wong:I have my hand up too :)
  Mary Wong:Yes, six target groups
  Lori Schulman:Hello.  My apologies for being late.
  Mary Wong:Welcome Lori, welcome Rebecca!
  J. Scott:I see that Lori and Rebecca have both joined
  Mary Wong:Sorry for changing topics - just wanted to highlight possibilities for allocating work at this point.
  Ariel Liang:Kurt Pritz 2 Kiran Malanchandruvil 3 Kristine Dorrain 4 Lori Schulman 5 Michael Graham 6 Rebecca Tushnet7 Susan Payne
  Ariel Liang:Sub Team members: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_fY1EB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=UHB9J2kmvXmRjIN9pKF0fIPgD3Lo5Q4fN0j-q65yY1g&s=mdxaXZ0KIFavy_14mYX5_ht_FkuIDDtZIFMnVfmkjlI&e=
  Susan Payne:SOW is what we have to provide to provider in the RFP?
  Mary Wong:@Susan, not exactly.
  Susan Payne:ok.  I have limited experience on surveys :)
  Susan Payne:do we need this column 3 in order to find a provider?  because I take the point that it could take a while to find a provider so we could be doing some work whilst it's underway
  Susan Payne:I can't count - i meant  column 4
  Mary Wong:@Susan, that is staff's hope - that as we begiin the internal procurement process the Sub Team can work on Column 4 so that it will all align on timing :)
  Michael R Graham:@Mary -- I wonder as far as budget if $50K was for each of the 6 universes?
  Mary Wong:@Michael, no - it was for a collective omnibus survey that can be tweaked/customized (we don't have 300K :) )
  Michael R Graham:@Mary -- Thanks
  Susan Payne:thanks Lori that is really good guidance
  Mary Wong:@Lori, staff has tried to capture your guidance in the notes - so if it's helpful, you can edit/comment on those as well.
  Mary Wong:We just don't have the six figures this budget year.
  Lori Schulman:I will look at the notes
  Mary Wong:Thanks, Kurt - that is helpful too.
  Lori Schulman:Yes, I would say cost is last too but we need to keep in it mind
  Rebecca L Tushnet:I would be interested in 5, potential registrants.
  Mary Wong:@Lori, yes and apologies - but staff just wanted, as you said, to make sure the limitations we are facing are clear.
  Lori Schulman:what is timeline? as I have explained I am not free until 11/10 for any substantive work
  Mary Wong:@Lori, I think that's the next thing to decide - what can be ready for the next meeting
  Mary Wong:Which will be Abu Dhabi
  Lori Schulman:Sure
  Lori Schulman:but what is time line
  Mary Wong:Rebecca volunteered for Group 5
  Mary Wong:Maybe we can ask who will have something ready for next Saturday?
  Mary Wong:Are we assigning Kristine to Group 1 then? :)
  Mary Wong:Can we decide what you want to present for discussion next Saturday?
  J. Scott:you also have Kiran
  Mary Wong:And we presume that chairing in Abu Dhabi will rotate - whoever's section is up will chair that section?
  Lori Schulman:Agree with Kurt
  Lori Schulman:We need to be able to push forward
  Lori Schulman:will think about it
  Lori Schulman:maybe make it observer only?  is that allowed?
  Mary Wong:I can reply to Susan's point
  Lori Schulman:subteam members speak only; others can observe
  Mary Wong:And Lori's
  J. Scott:I like the comments about the architecture of the live meeting.
  J. Scott:It needs to be a real working session.
  J. Scott:right
  Lori Schulman:not a policy debate
  Susan Payne:sounds good
  Lori Schulman:agree
  J. Scott:Sounds like you all have a plan. Thanks for the good work today. Sorry I had to be muted
  J. Scott:Silence must be agreement
  Lori Schulman:thank you Kurt
  J. Scott:thanks Kurt.
  J. Scott:Great!