[Gnso-rpm-data] [Ext] Re: Close to Final Survey Questions - Comment by Thu 02 Aug 16:00 UTC

Ariel Liang ariel.liang at icann.org
Sun Aug 5 01:21:19 UTC 2018

Dear Data Sub Team members,

Please find attached the finalized TM/brand owner survey, with both clean and redline versions for your reference.

Thank you,
Mary, Julie, Ariel, and Berry

From: Ariel Liang <ariel.liang at icann.org>
Date: Friday, August 3, 2018 at 7:25 PM
To: "gnso-rpm-data at icann.org" <gnso-rpm-data at icann.org>
Subject: Re: [Gnso-rpm-data] [Ext] Re: Close to Final Survey Questions - Comment by Thu 02 Aug 16:00 UTC

Dear Data Sub Team members,

Thank you, Michael, for inserting the suggested changes and comments in the Google doc. We have asked Analysis Group to check the Google doc and incorporate your suggestions. They will share the finalized survey in redline and clean versions soon.

Please find attached the finalized surveys for registry operators, registrars, and actual/potential registrants, incorporating edits/comments from the lead authors. These finalized surveys are considered closed for further comments/edits. Both clean and redline versions are attached for your reference.

We are also forwarding Analysis Group’s responses to Rebecca’s questions/comments posted in the email thread:

  *   From Rebecca: "…Although I don't object to the new question about the respondent's employment status, I'm surprised that something was added, from my perspective, out of the blue.  Who added it and why?"

AG: This was added because as part of the outreach plan, we will redirect any willing participants from the other surveys to the registrant survey. This question is intended to help us understand whether respondents may consequently represent the experiences of other target groups, such as trademark owners.

  *   From Rebecca: "Separately, let me reiterate that allowing respondents to choose is worse than randomly assigning them to a survey type where we are splitting the surveys, and if we're expanding that split then we should also randomize who gets which one in the other groups.  I don't recall that we agreed to let respondents choose which branch of the survey they wanted to take."

AG: We understand this concern but in this context and with these populations, we have no concern about introducing any bias. In particular, forcing individuals to answer survey questions in which they have little interest or knowledge is likely to lead to respondent drop-out and data that is unreliable. Also, since respondents can't preview the questions in a particular subsection of the survey, any type of selection bias should be minimal.

  *   From Rebecca: “I would like to make sure that the online panel will qualify both actual and potential registrants--that is, if a person on the SSI panel says ‘I've registered a domain name in a new gTLD,’ not just ‘I'm interested in registering/I tried to register in a new gTLD’ they should qualify for the rest of the survey.  Calling them just potential registrants makes me nervous.”

AG: SSI's online panel will include both actual and potential registrants and will direct them to the appropriate survey to fill out based on their response to the gating question.
Finally, with respect to the timing and next steps:

  *   So far we have six (6) RPM WG members volunteered to be beta testers (none of them is Data Sub Team member). Beta testing will take place next week (week of 6 August) as scheduled.
  *   AG plan to begin launching the surveys (after beta testing next week) on 13 August. They had originally discussed launching surveys toward the end of the week of 6 August, but do not think it is a good idea to send survey announcements to potential respondents towards the end of a week.
  *   AG plan to close the surveys in mid-September or so, taking into consideration of the summer holiday in August and the response rate.
  *   AG aim to present initial survey results to the WG on 12 September.
A big THANK YOU to all the Data Sub Team members, especially the lead authors – Kristine, Susan, Michael, and Rebecca – for the tremendous work and time that you have put into this effort!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Best Regards,
Mary, Julie, Ariel, and Berry