[Gnso-rpm-data] Beta Testers' Feedback - Review by COB Monday

Ariel Liang ariel.liang at icann.org
Fri Aug 17 19:08:08 UTC 2018

Dear Data Sub Team members (and Rebecca in particular),

Beta testers have reviewed the actual/potential registrant surveys. Test link: https://online.ssisurveys.com/wix/p3772093.aspx?mode=2

Please see below a summary of feedback/suggestion from the beta testers, with reference to the question number and URL for context/details. While the feedback is mostly cosmetic, we do want to make sure the Data Sub Team is okay with any potential change.

By COB Monday, 20 August, please be so kind to let us know whether you agree or disagree with the input from beta testers, OR whether you have alternative suggestions. Analysis Group will implement the changes accordingly.

Thank you for your time and help!

Best Regards,
Mary, Julie, Ariel, and Berry

==

INTRO: https://online.ssisurveys.com/wix/p3772093.aspx?r=61&s=VMFNEKFJ&__goto=INTRO

  *   Consider adding definition of gTLDs, new gTLDs, domain name in the intro (based on ICANN glossary):
     *   Domain name: “The domain name identifies a specific address on the Internet that belongs to an entity such as a company, organization, institution, or individual. A domain name consists of two or more textual segments separated by dots.”
     *   gTLD: “gTLDs are the class of top-level domains that includes general-purpose domains such as .com, .net, .edu, and .org. This class also includes domains associated with the New Generic Top-Level Domain Program<https://www.icann.org/icann-acronyms-and-terms/en/G0167> (New gTLD Program), which includes names such as .futbol, .istanbul, and .pizza, and names in other alphabets and languages.”

Q1: https://online.ssisurveys.com/wix/p3772093.aspx?r=61&s=VMFNEKFJ&__goto=Q1

  *   Revise pop-up message linked to “here”:
     *   Clarify the “strings” are the new gTLDs when preceded by a dot.
     *   This sentence in the pop-up message is unclear: “After completing the New gTLD Program, a new gTLD becomes part of the Internet when it is delegated”.
     *   Delete this sentence: “This means it is introduced into the Internet's authoritative database, known as the Root Zone”.
     *   Rephrase the last sentence to: “Please note that some new TLDs may not be included in the list below”.
  *   The second answer option should start with “Yes” (“Yes, I attempted to register a domain name in a new gTLD but did not complete the registration”).

Q3: https://online.ssisurveys.com/wix/p3772093.aspx?r=61&s=VMFNEKFJ&__goto=Q3

  *   Remove “Don’t know/not sure” option, and ask respondents to provide an approximate range based on the options above

Q4: https://online.ssisurveys.com/wix/3/p3772093.aspx?r=61&s=VMFNEKFJ&__goto=Q4

  *   Remove “Don’t know/not sure” option, and ask respondents to provide an approximate range based on the options above

Q5: https://online.ssisurveys.com/wix/3/p3772093.aspx?r=61&s=VMFNEKFJ&__goto=Q5

  *   In the intro, emphasize that ccTLDs and legacy TLDs are not being considered. Provide examples of ccTLDs and legacy TLDs in case respondents don’t click the hyperlinked “here”.

Q6a: https://online.ssisurveys.com/wix/3/p3772093.aspx?r=61&s=VMFNEKFJ&__goto=Q6a

  *   Rephrase the question to: “Did you register one or more domain names for which you received a Claims Notice?”

Q6b: https://online.ssisurveys.com/wix/p3772093.aspx?r=61&s=VMFNEKFJ&__goto=Q6b

  *   Rephrase the question to: “How much time do you recall spending reading the Claims Notice?”

Q6c: https://online.ssisurveys.com/wix/p3772093.aspx?r=61&s=VMFNEKFJ&__goto=Q6c

  *   Add an open text field for answer option 1 and option 2, similar to the other answer options.

Q7: https://online.ssisurveys.com/wix/p3772093.aspx?r=61&s=VMFNEKFJ&__goto=Q7

  *   Rephrase answer option 3 to: “To inform me about the potential rights of trademark owners against me should I proceed to complete registration of my selected domain name”
  *   Rephrase answer option 4 to: “To inform me about someone else previously registered the domain name I have selected”
  *   Rephrase answer option 5 to: “To inform me that there is a trademark owner with a trademark or a protected string/term that matches the domain name I have selected”
  *   Add an open text field next to answer option 6 “None of the above” to ask respondents to provide reason(s).

Q8: https://online.ssisurveys.com/wix/3/p3772093.aspx?r=61&s=VMFNEKFJ&__goto=Q8

  *   Rephrase the answer option 1 to: “Uniform Rapid Suspension System (URS) or Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) Complaint notice”
  *   Rephrase the answer option 3 to: “Notice of a lawsuit for trademark infringement”
  *   Add an answer option: “No, I have not received any warnings or notices of possible trademark conflict regarding my choice of domain name”

Q8c1: https://online.ssisurveys.com/wix/3/p3772093.aspx?r=64&s=JZYXUYWE&__goto=Q8c1

  *   Rephrase the question to: “How much time do you recall spending reading the Claims Notice?”

Q8d: https://online.ssisurveys.com/wix/p3772093.aspx?r=64&s=JZYXUYWE&__goto=Q8d

  *   Rephrase answer option 3 to: “To inform me that there is a trademark owner with a trademark or a protected string/term that matches the domain name I have selected”

Q10: https://online.ssisurveys.com/wix/p3772093.aspx?r=64&s=JZYXUYWE&__goto=Q10

  *   Rephrase answer option 1 to: “I have a business/program/initiative that uses that name or something very similar” (noncommercial, not for profit, advocacy purpose is missing in the original wording)
  *   Rephrase answer option 2 to: “I am thinking of starting a business/program/initiative using that name” (noncommercial, not for profit, advocacy purpose is missing in the original wording)
  *   Add an answer option: “I have a trademark which contains the domain name string”

Q13: https://online.ssisurveys.com/wix/p3772093.aspx?r=64&s=JZYXUYWE&__goto=Q13

  *   Replace “my country” with “the country of my current residence” in all answer options