[Gnso-rpm-data] Surveying potential registrants (Re: Actions & Notes: RPM Data Sub Team 15 June 2018)

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Sat Jun 16 02:33:32 UTC 2018

Dear all,

Thank you to Rebecca, Kristine and Michael for continuing the discussion. At the end of the last sub team call, the following appeared to be the decision points under consideration for the actual and potential registrant surveys:

  *   The “actual registrant” and “potential registrant” surveys are two separate surveys; however, for the “actual registrant” target group, it may be helpful to also have a section that mirrors part of the “potential registrant” survey, so as to capture the views of those who succeeded in registering one/some domain(s) but decided not to proceed with other attempted registrations.
  *   In both the “actual registrant” and “potential registrant” surveys, it will be important (possibly even necessary) to make clear that the respondent knows what a Claims Notice looks like – this may entail actually showing the respondent (during the survey?) a copy of the Claims Notice.
  *   While “use cases” and illustrative examples using a hypothetical domain name can be considered but may not ultimately be necessary, what remains critical is eliciting responses where the respondent understands what a Claims Notice is and knows what it looks like.
  *   Some reordering/reformatting of the questions may be necessary in order to present respondents with a logical process flow and to facilitate responses.

If it will be of assistance, do you wish staff to request that Greg and/or Stacey provide a more specific description, on one of your next calls with them,  as to what methods they and their subcontractor will be using to identify, target and reach the category of respondents that we are describing as “actual registrants” (i.e. those that succeeded in registering domain names especially in the new gTLDs) and “potential registrants” (i.e. those who either attempted but did not complete a new gTLD registration, or would consider a new gTLD registration in the future)?

Thanks and cheers
Mary, Julie, Ariel & Berry