[Gnso-rpm-data] Following My Question from Monday re: Qualification of Registrants for Survey

Lori Schulman lschulman at inta.org
Wed Jun 20 17:31:40 UTC 2018

Dear All,

I know that we are approaching today’s meeting and I wanted to reiterate something on the list rather than to absorb more time on the live call.  On Monday, I had asked about how Registrants will be vetted for the survey.  Stacy from AG explained that there will be “funneling” type questions that will qualify survey takers as “registrants” and they will be funneled to the rest of the questions.  I am still not clear on how the questions will be drafted in order to ensure that we are getting survey takers who understand what is being asked based on their direct experience.  Does AG have proposed draft questions already? If so, may we see them?  Using paid test takers for random, consumer oriented surveys makes sense to me.  For example, surveys on taste preferences or product comparisons.   However, using that kind of pool for something as technical as our survey still troubles me.  This goes back to something that Rebecca had explained regarding making sure that we are getting responses based on actual experiences rather than risking survey takers “ranking” or establishing “preferred” answers.    If we want to query the understandability of claims notices then I think whether one has seen them before or not may not matter.  However, I do think that if we are targeting users who have made actual decisions based on actual notices then we should only be targeting known purchasers who have received those notices.  It seems to me that only the registrars would know for sure and I still have doubts about surveying the general public through a paid survey taking system.  Therefore, I think it is appropriate to set some real parameters here.  I want to make sure that we have the best pool possible given the technical nature of the survey.  And I have further questions:

  *   How does AG group plan to drill down to specific segments that we want?
  *   What will the demographic profile look like?
  *   How will we know that the respondents have actually attempted to purchase and have abandoned names based on a claims notice?
  *   How will data be “sifted” after its collected?  For example, we should identify in advance what we are looking for i.e., age, employment, number of domains registered, number of abandoned, etc.

I have asked this question twice and I am still stuck on some of the details of the response.  Perhaps the analysis group can respond in writing which could clarify what we are doing?

Thank.

Thank you.

Lori S. Schulman
Senior Director, Internet Policy
International Trademark Association (INTA)
+1-202-704-0408, Skype: lsschulman