[gnso-rpm-wg] Glossary of terms related to design marks and GIs

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Fri Apr 28 02:45:00 UTC 2017

Dear all,

As requested by the Working Group members who were present on the call yesterday, staff has gone ahead and prepared a glossary comprising a list of definitions and additional information relating to the terms highlighted on the call and that have to do with design marks and GIs.

We are very well aware that there are a number of highly experienced trademark practitioners from around the world, as well as many experts on the topic, in this Working Group. As we pulled together this list from existing sources we had bookmarked combined with some background (possibly outdated!) knowledge, it is likely that we may have omitted more authoritative sources or accurate information. As such, please let us know if you see any errors or omissions.

We wanted to get you this list sooner rather than later, however, to facilitate your ongoing discussions over the various terms that have been used to describe types of “design marks” as well as over the scope of GIs and their interface with trademarks.

We hope this is helpful. As also noted on the Working Group call, we will work with the co-chairs to try to develop a survey to find out if and how Working Group members may wish to distinguish between the various types of design marks in moving forward.

Thanks and cheers
Mary